This post was contributed by Brett, husband to Lindy (Corey's sister).

Brett writes:

Continued recap of Lindy and Brett’s time in India:

On Thursday, we visited Onkadeli, a tribal village about 3 hours south of Koraput. We hired a car to drive us around for the day (~$40US) that navigated us through many towns and cities around the Koraput District of Orissa. The ride in the car was enjoyable—seeing all the serene hills and people (and animals) of India.

In the village of Onkadeli we shopped at the market, a place where many rural vendors sell their goods: lots of produce, fish, spices, jewelry, stainless steel, and other wares that they use in their daily lives. We even bought a few things there we had not seen around Koraput or Visakhapatnam. The market is a novel place, even for Indians because of vendors who sell a very strong liquor, scooped from large pots into drinking gourds. Though the aroma of the alcohol was pungent, we watched many people gulp it down. Gina and Lindy were also able to have their photo taken with two women of the Bhonda tribe.

After the market, we drove a short distance to view Duduma waterfall.

Friday, Lindy and I spent “a day in the life of an Indian,” doing the normal daily activities that Corey and Gina experience. We started by doing our laundry by hand in buckets on their back a patio. It was interesting, but out of all the necessary chores, it was my least favorite, and I wouldn’t enjoy doing it each week. It took hours of scrubbing and line drying. Next, Corey and I went into town to get a haircut and shave. All we had to do was find an 8x8 shack with a barber’s chair and mirror and wait in line. About 10 minutes after sitting down, getting my face and neck lathered, shaved, and then applying cooling cream I was a new man and it only cost 50 cents. The next adventure for Lindy and I was going shopping for a list of items needed for our meal. From our previous trips into Koraput, chaperoned by Corey and Gina, we had a good idea of where to go. So it was a fun experience that we accomplished without difficulty, shopping at 6 different places to get about 12 items.

Saturday started with a fantastic, American breakfast of pancakes with a banana and cashew topping. Shortly before lunchtime, we walked to the SOVA offices where Corey and Gina are working. On the way, we passed out Silly Bandz we’re brought from the U.S. to the children in a local village. The magnificent scenery on that short walk made us wish that was our way to work each day. Corey and Gina had invited their Indian and volunteer friends over to a party at their place starting at 6 pm. Lindy had made iced sugar cookies with a red lotus design earlier in the day, and we picked up some fried tiffin (snacks) at a stall in town. 6 pm came and went without anyone showing up. We ate. At 6:30, two people showed up and then through the next hour 9 more people came. We’d been warned that time is a little different to Indians, but it was interesting to have that experience ourselves. Once everyone arrived they ate,we talked and posed for about a hundred pictures, and took a few of our own. Then the real party started! We danced, mostly Dhemsa, an Indian dance that follows the moves of a leader around in a circle.

But our Indian guests wanted to see an American dance. So Lindy and Corey busted out the Electric Slide.

To Indian music, no less. It was a big hit with our foreign friends. Everyone had a great time and it will be a memorable event for them as well as for us.
Then at 9:30, Lindy and Gina went to Binu’s house next door, where she designed mehendi (henna) to her hands and arms.

Though she couldn’t touch anything, and I had to wash her face for her before she went to bed, she woke up to intricate and striking designs stained on her skin.

Today, Sunday, is our last full day in India and it is hard to think that the experience will soon be over. We have had a wonderful time in the country seeing beautiful places, friendly people, and sights we do not have in America. It is sad to leave after seeing so much, but this trip will be one that Lindy and I always remember. We hope that we will be able to come back in the future.